Sutter Health Director, Pharmacy in Crescent City, California
Resting on the scenic Northern California Coast, Sutter Coast Hospital first opened its doors in 1931 and has continued to evolve to meet the changing needs of the residents of Crescent City, California and Brookings-Harbor, Oregon and the surrounding areas. As a part of Sutter Health - one of the nation’s leading community-based, health care networks - we are a 59-bed, not-for-profit hospital, serving a population of approximately 43,000. Our services include a 24-hour emergency department, intensive care/critical care units, surgery, obstetrics, diagnostic imaging, laboratory, rehabilitation, skilled nursing, psychiatric care, senior care, and home health services.
Moderate in climate and nestled along a gorgeous ocean coastline with a surrounding mountain landscape, Crescent City is beautiful, peaceful, affordable, and perfect for those with a propensity for outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, surfing, and camping. With lush groves of redwood trees and wildlife in abundance, it’s a hidden gem and the ideal place to write the next chapter of your life, both professional and personal.
Through innovative care, collaborative partnerships, and a powerful people-first philosophy, come experience what we have to offer and discover your potential at Sutter Coast Hospital.
Responsible for the day to day operations and management of the Pharmacy Department.
The patient population at Sutter Coast Hospital includes (but is not limited to) general medical/surgical, ICU, CCU, oncology, cardiology, pediatric, OB/GYN, geriatrics, and outpatient infusion.
The scope of the position includes assuring the delivery of quality patient care through implementation and maintenance of distributive and clinical programs; assuring effective supervision, staff development, appropriate staffing and promoting positive employee and guest relations; establishing and maintaining effective communication lines with Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Staff, Clinical Departments, Materials Management, Information Systems, Finance and other outside entities within Sutter Health; assuring effective integration of Pharmacy activities and objectives within the Pharmacy Department through implementation of effective and efficient policies & procedures and cost-effective issues; and assuring well organized work flow, maintaining labor productivity and financial data within the Pharmacy Department. The incumbent may be required to function in the role of staff pharmacist (with the same expectations as a staff pharmacist). This is especially true in the smaller facilities such as Sutter Coast Hospital. In the larger facilities, this function would be on a limited, emergency basis only. In addition, the incumbent will be expected to have an active, productive role in the Regional Pharmacy Managers group. The Pharmacy Director will be the "Pharmacist in Charge" for their campus. The incumbent will coordinate and provide afterhours Pharmacy support as required by the position.
Assures the delivery of quality patient care through implementation of pharmaceutical programs which optimize the distribution system.
• Investigates new technology and delivery systems for implementation.
• Oversees quality assurance activities, produces and monitors Quality Improvement Activities to continuously assess and improve services.
• Demonstrates knowledge of current trends in business and healthcare industry, continually analyzing impact on department operations.
• Maintains optimization of staff ratios within the Pharmacy law for maximum productivity.
• Maintains reports regarding quality, productivity, and service utilization.
• Effectively meets nursing and physician needs in a timely and cost-effective manner.
• Integrates services into the organization’s primary functions.
• Coordinates and integrates interdepartmental and intradepartmental services.
• Promotes / provides optimal patient therapy through the provision of Pharmaceutical Care by medication monitoring, assessment of the appropriateness of medications, pharmacokinetics, drug interaction screening, rational drug dosing, DUE criteria, drugs, and patient outcomes.
Assures effective supervision, staff development, appropriate staffing and promotes positive employee and guest relations.
• Demonstrates effective managerial judgment, fairness and consistency in managing employee relations.
• Incorporates recommendations or actions of subordinate personnel, when appropriate.
• Develops orientation, personnel training systems, positive role modeling, recommendations for ongoing staff development (in-services, CE, etc.).
• Maximum utilization of pharmacist skills, thus promoting effective outcomes and rewarding challenges for staff.
• Coaches and counsels staff members and administers annual performance evaluations.
• Coordinates staffing activity in all pharmacy areas and adjusts for vacations, holidays and workload, as needed.
• Effective team builder.
• Recommends sufficient number of qualified and competent persons to provide services and flexes staffing in accordance with workload demands.
• Determines qualifications and competence of department personnel providing patient care services.
• Functions as an effective staff pharmacist.
• Effectively balances patient care and administrative responsibilities.
• Ensures competency of staff through the use of developed competency programs.
Establishes and maintains effective communication lines with Pharmacy, Nursing, Clinical Departments, Materials Management, Information Systems, Finance, Administration and other outside entities within Sutter Health.
• Maintains close working relationships with the Pharmacy staff.
• Effectively interacts with all hospital based personnel, including customers & those servicing Pharmacy.
• Develops a formal mechanism for communicating to staff.
• Develops and supports system sharing of staff which increases productivity of SHSSR Hospital.
• Maintains balance of representing hospital management while acting as spokesperson for staff concerns and ideas.
• Maintains close working relationships with the Medical staff.
• Maintains close working relationships with the Nursing staff.
• Effectively communicates to Administration.
Assures effective integration of Pharmacy activities and objectives within the Pharmacy Department through implementation of effective and efficient policies & procedures and cost-effective issues.
• Maintains review of current policy and procedure manuals.
• Develops new policies and procedures, as required, with changes in regulations and/or support patient care services.
• Recommends departmental goals and objectives based on the unique aspect of patient care.
• Routinely evaluates agreements, billing, contracts, DRGs, inventory ordering, and personnel scheduling.
• Responsible for meeting all JCAHO, MERP and other regulatory standards.
• Promotes rational use of drugs to ensure optimal clinical outcomes.
Assures a sound financial operation with efficient use of resources.
• Develops capital and operational budget in conjunction with the Regional Pharmacy Director.
• Effectively monitors productivity of the Pharmacy Department.
• Monitors operating expenses and implements action plan, when necessary.
• Modifies resource utilization to changing reimbursement trends.
• Evaluates and implements opportunities for enhancing cost-effective delivery of services.
• Participates in the selection of sources for needed services not provided by the department or organization.
Sutter Coast Hopital:
Personnel Supervised: Approximately 8 FTEs
Operating Budget: Approximately $3 million annually
Revenue: Approximately $19 million annually
Licensed to practice Pharmacy in the State of California.
PharmD or Master's Degree and/or residency are preferred.
A minimum of two to three years acute hospital experience required.
Experience demonstrating leadership and managerial capabilities.
Effectiveness in communicating and dealing with personnel is desired.
Special education attainment in management and supervision, as would be acquired through seminar attendance.
Attendance at hospital sponsored Supervisory/Management development programs or college course work is desired.
Possesses knowledge and has expertise in all aspects of hospital pharmacy operations including budgeting, current laws and regulation, basic clinical skills, and being abreast of new developments in drug therapy, technology and current healthcare issues.
Organization: *Sutter Coast Hospital, Crescent City, CA
Title: Director, Pharmacy
Location: California-North Coast-Crescent City
Requisition ID: SCH-1710019
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.