Sutter Health Inpatient Coding Team Member - Shared Services/Remote in Roseville, California
Assigns codes and modifiers into the hospital encoder system within established Health Information Management standards. Abstracts and codes Inpatient records and all others as assigned based on deep functional expertise. Determines principal and secondary diagnoses and procedures for Inpatient records, regardless of complexity, according to all applicable coding rules and regulatory standards. Assigns medical diagnoses and surgical procedure codes and abstracts necessary data elements for billing, reimbursement and state reporting. These codes are used to calculate the MS-DRG assignment required for reimbursement, as well as the APR DRG used for Quality metrics and analysis. This data is used to establish a statistical database which is used throughout the organization for medical staff improvement activities, clinical effectiveness and outcome studies, medical staff credentialing, administrative planning, researched and to meet regulatory reporting requirements.
Ensures all collected data is accurate, complete and compliant with state and federal regulations as well as Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting and Sutter defined coding policies and procedures. This position ensures that all hospital based encounters, both inpatient and outpatient, are coded, abstracted and finalized accurately and in accordance with defined service level agreements.
Supports the success of a high-performing shared services organization by helping to champion and drive the long-term Sutter Shared Services vision. Helps foster an environment in which continuous improvement in business processes and services is welcomed and recognized. Participates in programs and in using tools in support of building a high performance culture via the standard Sutter Shared Services responsibilities (e.g. performance measurement, people development, customer relationship management, etc.).
• High school diploma/GED required.
• AA/AS degree or equivalent combination of education and experience desired.
• Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) required.
• Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) desired.
• Demonstrates experience and a proven track record in Coding in a facility of significant size and complexity, hospital business operations, information systems, and coding applications, as typically acquired in 0-2 years of experience performing acute care inpatient, outpatient, and/or emergency department coding
• Experience participating in Coding standards, processes, policies, procedures and service level agreements
• Experience in complex regional/ shared service environment with multiple/ matrix reporting relationships preferred
• Knowledge of hospital inpatient, outpatient, and/or emergency department coding rules, Ambulatory Payment Classifications and Diagnosis Related Group assignment logic, National Correct Coding Initiative edits, Coding Clinic and Current Procedural Terminology Assistant coding guidelines
• In-depth knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, patient health record content and the medical record coding process
• Knowledge of computer based encoder systems and accurate data entry skills
• Strong working knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pharmacology
• Familiarity with billing functions and the components of a charge description master
• General knowledge of Revenue Cycle applications, including Electronic Health Record systems
• General knowledge/ awareness of all areas related to Coding and how they interrelate
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques related to compliant healthcare billing/collections
• Familiarity with Coding management functions in acute and non-acute settings
• Knowledge of Patient Management information system applications, preferably EPIC
• Ability to work closely with medical staff and other departments to create a complete and accurate database of clinical and demographic data while ensuring appropriate coding
• Ability to run reports needed to improve patient care
• Ability to comprehend and retain information that can be applied to work procedures to achieve appropriate service delivery
• Requires strong accuracy, attentiveness to detail and time management skills for translating complex medical documentation into diagnostic classification system codes
• Aptitude to conceptualize, plan, and implement stated goals and objectives
• Ability to manage own schedule and responsibilities. Must have initiative to work effectively without constant supervision and direction, meeting all deadlines
• Ability to work concurrently on a variety of tasks/projects in a fast paced environment with identified productivity requirements and with individuals having diverse personalities and work styles
• High-level problem identification/ mitigation/ resolution and analytical skills
• Ability to develop effective working relationships/ networks within and outside the organization
• Excellent ability to communicate ideas both verbally and in writing to interact with others using on-on-one contact and group discussions
• Ability to recognize the appropriate style, level of detail, and message for the audience
• Computer keyboarding skills and experience with computerized coding/abstracting systems and encoders Ability to use spreadsheet, word processing, statistical, project management, and presentation software applications, preferably Microsoft Suite
• Ability to read and interpret complex medical records
• Ability to learn new applications/software systems effectively and efficiently
• Ability to comply with Sutter Health policies and procedures
• Requires the ability to work with and maintain confidential information
Special Requirements :
Remote position. Must have adequate space in the home environment to perform job duties and meet HIPPA privacy requirements.
Primary Location: California, Greater Sacramento Area, Roseville
Organization: Sutter Shared Services
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Monday-Friday
Weekend Requirements: None
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.