Sutter Health Registered Nurse First Assistant in Santa Rosa, California
Provides professional nursing care for patients. The RN First Assistant ( RNFA ) renders direct patient care as part of the perioperative role by assisting the surgeon in the surgical treatment of the patient. The responsibility of functioning as RN First Assistant must be based on documented knowledge and skills acquired after specialized preparation, formal instruction and supervised practice. While performing in the expanded role of first assisting the RNFA practices under the direct supervision of the surgeon.
The RNFA functions as a perioperative teammember and uses information from a variety of sources to assess, plan, implement and evaluate the results of patient care. May supervise the work and function for other staff nurses, licensed vocational nurses, nursing assistants and clinical support associates. The incumbent has access to Protected Health Information as needed to accomplish the accountabilities as outlined in this job description. This includes access to the patient's medical record.
Three years experience as RN in the Operating Room encompassing both the circulator and the scrub roles
· Communicates effectively in English (verbal and written).
· Has effective skills in communication and interpersonal relationships.
· Has the flexibility to adapt to new and changing situations.
· Has the ability to think critically and set priorities.
· Demonstrates basic computer skills.
· Participates as a collaborative member of the Patient Care Team.
· Validation of the necessary clinical skills by an evaluation with a peer.
· Proctorship with a physician/surgeon for a minimum of 6 cases.
· Demonstrates the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide age-specific care to patients serviced, including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interpreting age appropriate data for the populations served in the department. Demonstrates appropriate communication and patient education skills for the patient population served.
· Demonstrates competencies required by department (per initial orientation and annual review). Working knowledge of established safety topics (e.g., Infection Control, Electrical Safety, Disaster) as required by department and organizational standards.
· Certified in perioperative nursing (CNOR)
· Current professional liability insurance
· Successful completion of didactics of structured course in first assisting
Possession of a valid California License as a Registered Nurse. Successful completion of an RNFA course. Academic course work, which directly relates to the knowledge and abilities listed above. Graduation from an approved school of nursing will meet these requirements. Any combination of training and experience that will provide an opportunity to acquire the skills, knowledge, and abilities listed above. CNOR and BLS certified is required.
Primary Location: California, North Bay/Lake County, Santa Rosa
Organization: Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Non-Exempt
Job Shift: Variable
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Other
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 64
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, registered domestic partner status, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, national origin (including possession of a driver's license issued to individuals who did not present proof of authorized presence in the U.S.), age, medical condition, physical or mental disability, military or protected veteran status, political affiliation, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition, genetic information or any other characteristic made unlawful by local, state, or federal law, ordinance or regulation. External hires must pass a background check/drug screening. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state, and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.